Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Where I've come from and how I walked away from Spiritual Abuse


Over the next few months I feel impressed upon that it is time that I tell my story. Some may not like what I have to say as it may convict their hearts, but I will only ever tell the truth.
The purpose is not to name names or cause strife, but to expose the truth in hopes that my story will inspire others to walk away from authoritarian, abusive church systems like I did.
I was a spiritual leader, a music pastor, in one of those such churches.

Why did I walk away? What was so authoritarian and abusive at the church where I was at?

The Pastor, instead of a loving shepherd leading the flock with love and compassion, was a spiritual cowboy who prodded his sheep like cattle, and I was his cowboy in training, until I walked away. He wore twin spurs of condemnation and guilt on his heels and had a lasso of performance that entwined you with a false sense of obligation in his hand.
I am here to admit my failings for following the cowboys and striving to be like them instead of striving to be like the Great Shepherd. When God tore the blinders off my eyes, I rose up, tossed away my spurs and lasso and said no more! I'm committed to my Shepherd and to His flock. I follow His voice and no other. I will tend to His sheep and His sheep need to know the truth about Spiritual Abuse. So here is my story...

No comments:

Post a Comment