Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Part 5: Telling the Pastor, His wife's intervention


That Sunday afternoon, just as our Pastor was leaving on a mission trip for 10 days, he called to let me know that I would not have to lead worship in the month of May. I told him that was fine as I was stepping down anyway!

He was shocked. I asked him if he knew about the altercation with the Director and he said no. I only got to tell him three of the nasty comments that the Director said to me and the Pastor was so floored and said he couldn’t believe it. I told him that my son was a witness to the whole conversation as it was on speaker phone. Geoff and I made him promise that the Director would not be notified and this would be dealt with as soon as the Pastor got back. He made us promise not to tell anyone I had stepped down.

Well the Pastor did not keep his word at all and we found out from his wife a day later that they had an emergency meeting that very same night and the Elder was indeed informed and denied it all.
The next morning I received a notification that I was removed as a worship leader from the scheduling program the church used. Within an hour I was asked by our close friend in the worship arts department if I’d stepped down. I refused to lie and said yes. This member also knew that the other worship leader was also stepping down (I had nothing to do with that decision and it was just coincidental and I’m not completely sure as to his reasons). So this man messaged the Pastor and his wife saying he was concerned and asked why were both worship leaders removed or stepping down. Well that prompted a very interesting conversation with the pastor’s wife where she accused me of having a “seed of division” in me.

The conversation was all cordial. I wasn’t going to be rude, but everything she said, although said in a sweet manner, with the air of false concern, was direct spiritual abuse. She informed me that I misunderstood everything the Director had said and sometimes this Director can get passionate, but he never yelled at me, nor said such hateful things to me. I wasn’t even allowed to tell her the conversation I’d had with the Director. The only thing she knew was the few phrases I’d told her husband. I told her my son was there and the phone was on speaker but to her that didn’t matter and that was completely glossed over as if I’d never spoken. She claimed it never happened that way and then explained how I was forbidden to step down as a worship leader. I was told I was in sin for doing so, and because of this “seed of division” in me that I was to submit myself under their leadership and all managing responsibilities were to be taken from me and that the Elder and the returning Elder from Deployment would take upon the responsibilities of picking who played with me, what songs I was singing and my song list. She detailed how I would go through a restoration process until the “seed of division” was no longer found in me.

So in my mind, I have this internal dialogue going on… “So, let me get this straight, I get yelled at and screamed at by an Elder who literally just disqualified himself from ministry, who acted like a demon possessed man, and you are going to tell me that not only did it not happen that way, despite having a witness, that I’m supposed to submit myself to some cult like reconditioning process and the man with the clear outburst of anger who has gone off on people like this before gets away with it and you guys are going to do absolutely nothing?!? Yeah, I’m so outta here! Now, I just have to convince my future husband and pray, pray, pray, how to get out of this with our heads held high.” All the while, I just did the customary “uh huh’s” and I listened and told her that me stepping down was firm and I would not be reconsidering it. She asked me to pray about it and I said I have and would continue to do so.

I then asked that we put everything aside for now because I just wanted to get married to man I loved. To that she agreed.


No comments:

Post a Comment